Thursday, July 15, 2010

Journey Through the Past, Mission Accomplished...

... Sort of.

With the posting of my Fork in the Road, I have officially reached the end of my massive, 55-ish Neil Young album collection and thus the end of this project. Except that during these last three months, I incidentally ended up picking up a few Neil albums that I didn't cover (the third Buffalo Springfield album, Vol. 1 of the Neil Young Archives, Decade, some other random things) that I should probably address. I'm a little burned out, so I won't be getting to them right away, but I hope to pepper them in over the next month or so.

And if I'm feeling up to it I may, as an addendum to this whole project, post about a few tangentially connected items... including a non-Neil Crazy Horse album, a Stephen Stills solo album and a few other ideas I have. The idea would be to review them on their own merits, but also evaluate/compare them from a Neil-centric perspective as well.

I'd also like to get back to writing about movies on this blog (my original intention with it), so I'll try to carve out some time for that soon.

3 comments:

Shenan said...

Here's a good Neil quote to end your series with:

"Somehow, by doing what I wanted to do, I manage to give people what they don't want to hear, and they still come back. I haven't been able to figure that out yet."

Mr. Subtlety said...

Hey Dan -- just FYI, you can listen to Neil's entire new ablum through NPR's website. It's pretty nifty IMHO. No band, but a huge and unusual guitar sound. It almost sounds Radiohead-esque at times in its epic alien soundscape. Personally, I think its one of the most exciting and successful things Neil has done in ahwile.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129955938

Dan said...

Thanks for the heads up! I knew it was coming out soon and was planning on picking it up, but had no idea they were offering a free preview. This is great.

This also reminds me that I keep neglecting to download the new Smashing Pumpkins song.