Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Syndromes and a Century

Told you I planned on watching this one. I already mentioned it in my Blissfully Yours post, so I'm not sure what else to say other than to briefly mention the films structure. The film is split into two halves, one set at a hospital in the countryside, the other set at a hospital in the city. Each half involves some of the same characters involved in similar situations, almost as if the two halves are parallel universes. This leads to a lot of interesting instances of doubling; scenes or images in each half that seem to echo each other... but I can't figure out what, if anything, it's all supposed to mean. This is the 3rd time I've watched Syndromes and a Century, and I find it endlessly fascinating, enigmatic, mysterious. In a rational sense, I'm not sure that the film "means" anything (although I could throw out some theories), and I don't think it needs to. Its more of a meditation of life in the city vs life in the country (or maybe even more generally nature vs technology) and an evocation of a weird, haunting mood.

No comments: