Monday, June 30, 2008

I Know Who Killed Me

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Watching The Lost the other week got me to thinking about I Know Who Killed Me and how even though it was kinda terrible, I also kinda really liked it a lot. So Shenan ended up picking us up a copy, and I figure it will get repeat viewings in the future.

I mean, I understand logically that this is a poorly written movie with a ludicrous story, filled with bad acting and an overbearing visual style. But the combination of these elements creates some weird, fascinating new beast. It's like if Brian DePalma tried to make an episode of Unsolved Mysteries crossed with a slasher movie, while on shrooms. It's a failure at being a serious movie, it's a fiasco, but it's not exactly a camp classic either, it's something new. All the things that don't work about it help create this weirdass, anti-logical fever dream. it's just so peculiar at times, but not in some surreal David Lynch way, more like it doesn't realize just how bizarre it is.

I think I said this before, but count me in if this Chris Sivertson fellow ever makes another movie. I'm not sure what it is, but he's got something. You have to have real talent and vision to make a movie like The Lost, which is a well made and ambitious horror movie/character study that suffers from being a little overstuffed with characters and style, and real talent and vision to make a movie like I Know Who Killed Me, which is a unique, incredibly watchable half-disaster. One day he'll hopefully make a movie that I will enjoy with no reservations, but if not I'm pretty confident that he'll continue to make movies that are worth seeing.

3 comments:

Shenan said...

i like how no one actually kills her in the movie. it should be called "i know who kidnapped and tortured me with the intent of eventually killing me".

Shenan said...

Sort of like Alanis Morissette's classic "Isn't It Ironic" should really be called "Isn't It Inconvenient."

Shenan said...

wait it's not called that...she just sings it. What I meant is, it should be called "Inconvenient" and she should sing "Isn't it inconvenient?"