Friday, June 6, 2008

Intacto

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Man, I guess Shenan and I got too caught up in Homicide and Weeds and all that, and we totally forgot that it had been our "thing" to watch some Spanish- language movies. I think it had happened by accident, when I started watching Pedro Almodovar movies and we both started getting into Gael Garcia Bernal, and we realized we had been watching a lot of Spanish language movies and we should just go with it.

We're trying to pick it back up again, although with new seasons of Weeds and Rescue Me out now on DVD, and like 4 seasons of Homicide left, and our newfound love of Six Feet Under, who knows if we'll remember to keep it going.

This was Shenan's pick, but I was rather curious to see it once I did a little research. Why? It was directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo, who did 28 Weeks Later, one of the best horror films of the last several years, and a rare sequel to a great horror movie that does the original justice. After watching Intacto, (which is not a horror movie) I think this guy's got the goods. It's one of the more captivatingly oddball movies I've seen in a while, which manages to create a dark and fascinating tone out of a ludicrous premise.

And guess who's in the movie? Max Von Sydow. And what a career this guy has had. He's been acting for, what, a billion years now? He started off working with Ingmar Bergman, has been steadily working since the 50's, still lands roles in major films by people like Spielberg and Scorsese, but has also found time in recent years to show up in smaller, artier fare (Snow Falling on Cedars), weird-ass Spanish language movies (this one), and he even managed to squeeze in an Argento movie (Sleepless). I love this guy!

No comments: