Monday, November 10, 2008

Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master

Friday, November 7, 2008

Ugh, okay, I know. October is over and I'm supposed to stop watching horror movies and try to respectably wrap up my K2K. But back last month I ordered the entire Nightmare series for only $20 of Amazon, and it didn't show up until this past week so I couldn't help myself.

I've always been more of a Jason man, myself, but I think I forgot that objectively, the Freddy movies are better. Not only are the production values better, what with all the elaborate special effects, but they tended to be more imaginaitvely written and directed, and effort seems to have been made to make the victims likable and sympathetic. So maybe I need to re-evaluate this whole Jason/Freddy dichotomy.

I remembered this one as being a more "average" entry, but it turns out that it's even better than I remembered, maybe not quite as good as part 3, but still pretty good. A big part of that is the direction, this time by Renny Harlin, so you know if nothing else, this is visually stronger than 90% of other horror movies.

No comments: