Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Art of the Devil

A golddigger impregnated by a rich asshole learns black magic to get revenge on the asshole and his family. Actually, it's a lot more complicated than that, but does anyone give a shit?

Guess what? Thailand apparently has an answer to the Pang Brothers, and its the guy who made this movie whose name I'm not going to bother to look up. Art of the Devil similarly attempts to deliver scares less through painstaking craft and more through blunt force overediting trauma. Whereas the Pangs do it with flair and a little bit of a wink, this Thai joker couldn't Avid his way out of a paper bag.

Disclosure: the version of this film I watched was dubbed, so even if the story/acting/dialogue wasn't terrible, I would have no way of telling. Conversely, the goofiness the dubbing lended was good for a few laughs and basically the only thing that entertained me after the novelty of the film's hyperactivity wore off. Alas, even the dubbing wasn't enough to amuse me fore more than 20 minutes or so, and I'm not embarrassed to admit that my attention wavered throughout Art of the Devil and I'm not clear on all the plot details. This is not a professional movie review, this is my shitty, unprofessional blog. The scattered bits of Art of the Devil that I clearly remember do not indicate that I was missing anything by not giving it my full attention.

Grade: D

No comments: