Friday, January 24, 2014

Fear in the Night


The young, pretty  new employee at a boarding school believes she has been attacked by a one-armed man, but there's no proof and everyone just seems to think she's paranoid. Conveniently, Peter Cushing plays the headmaster, and he's missing an arm.

Well eff me, I recall enjoying Fear in the Night when I watched it a few weeks ago (edit: now months!), but it's been long enough that the actual details of the film are getting hazy. It seemed to me a well-made, slightly slasher-y mystery/thriller that, while having a mostly standard issue plot, was well constructed, atmospheric and suspenseful. Guess I should have taken some notes, because I don't have a lot to say about this one other than it struck me as one of those British horror movies that feels giallo-influenced; it has similar style and plot mechanics but just doesn't go as far with the weirdness or surrealism.

Rating: B

No comments: