Monday, December 17, 2007

Club Dread

Saturday, December 15, 2007

Here's another movie I've seen a million bajillion times. So I guess Saturday wasn't a day I really spent broadening my horizons. Shenan is a big fan, and neither of us had wacthed it in a while.

Club Dread is my personal favorite of the Broken Lizard movies. Having pretty much grown up with slasher movies as a part of my regular diet, I'm probably the perfect audience for this affectionate send-up of the genre. It's kind of weird that they mixed the slasher movie formula with some weird beach-party theme, but then I guess a lot of slasher movies tried to have some sort of hook to them. It does feel a little like they combined the ideas for two screenplays though.

It's main flaw is that at nearly 1 hour and 45 minutes, it's too damn long to be a slasher movie. However, that's neutralized by the fact that they use the extra time to add in my favorite joke, which is that the movie has about 4 or 5 surplus endings. You know the kind, where the killer you thought was dead shows up for one last scare. Club Dread takes the cliche of the gratuitous slasher movie ending to it's furthest extreme, and the last shot is a real treasure.

No comments: