Monday, December 3, 2007

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Secret of the Ooze

Friday, November 30, 2007

Patrick had a copy of this on VHS, so we popped it on late Friday night/early Saturday morning. And I must have had this exact same VHS, because I even remembered the commercials before the movie. Including that one for a movie called Step Kids that ended up being released under the name Big Girls Don’t Cry, They Get Even.

I loved the fact that we watched this on VHS, because that it how it exists in my memory. To me, this movie was always full-frame and slightly washed out looking, maybe with a faint buzz in the background. I can’t imagine watching this remastered and in widescreen. It would just be wrong.

Not much to talk about, but the ninja rap scene is still amazing. The turtles get into a fight with some tall monster guys, and somehow end up in a nightclub where Vanilla Ice is playing. Ice sees what’s going on, is scared at first, but then he starts bobbing his head to the beat. And it’s like, yeah, man, he gets it. He feels these turtle dudes, he knows the score. And then he proceeds to “improvise” a song about them. I love how rad I thought this shit was when I was a kid.

I recently picked up the new computer animated TMNT movie, but haven’t had a chance to watch it yet. I should soon. Obviously Turtles 2 isn’t a very good movie, but it made me a little nostalgic for those days.

No comments: