Monday, December 3, 2007

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three

Thursday, November 29, 2007

I saw there was this 70s crime picture starring Walter Matthau and Robert Shaw, and my curiosity was piqued. I really wanted to see Matthau in another gruff, Charley Varrick-type role.

But actually, Matthau is more the typical funny Matthau in this movie. And even though Shaw is pretty badass (his final scene in the movie is a semi-classic moment in awesomeness) as the leader of a group of criminals, the movie was a lot more jokey and fun than I was expecting. Fortunately, it’s good jokes and good fun.

Not a great picture, certainly no classic of the genre, but definitely worth seeing if you like this kind of movie. It’s got your classic funky, energetic 70s score, and that shit always gets me pumped. It’s such a joy, knowing that every time I watch a 70s cop movie, or 70s Italian horror flick, that I’ll be treated to this kind of score. We need to bring these back.

One detail I really liked: one of the hostage-takers has a cold and sneezes through the whole movie. When do you ever see that? I wonder how many brilliant criminal schemes were ruined by someone getting sick? Imagine if one of Ocean’s Eleven got the flu. All that planning would have been for nothing.

No comments: