Wednesday, December 26, 2007

The Horror of Dracula

Monday, December 24, 2007

I picked this one up really cheap as part of a 2-disc, 4-movie Hammer Films Dracula set. I'm currently committed to expanding my knowledge of horror movies, and these old Christopher Lee Dracula flicks seemed like a good genre to branch out to. I call myself a horror fan, but this is a pretty major gap in my catalogue.

Of course, no one wanted to fucking watch it with me until I finally basically begged my brother on Christmas Eve.

In the interest of full-disclosure, Andy and I did chat quite a bit during this one. So, I can't say that I was able to deeply study and analyze The Horror of Dracula.

That said, gosh darn it, I still kind of liked it, and I'm definitely looking forward to watching the other three. It was a relatively well made, good looking older horror flick with a good mix of class and sleaze. Although tame by today's standards, I bet this was considered pretty violent for 1958. Especially Dracula's awesome death sequence at the end.

The British-ness really adds a lot, too. I'm not really sure if the acting was good, but all the accents made it seem really top-notch and classy.

Good times. I believe next up is Dracula Has Risen From the Grave.

No comments: