Sunday, April 27, 2008

Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay

Saturday, April 26, 2008

The first Harold and Kumar looked fucking terrible when it came out, and then turned out to be one of the funniest, most likable comedies of recent years. I was pretty excited for the sequel.

Overall, it's probably not as funny as the first, but it's a lot more ballsy and subversive. The title is an obvious clue, but this one aspires to have a certain degree of political and social commentary that the original didn't go for. Some of it really, painfully falls flat, but when this movie hits its target it scores a perfect shot, and delivers some of the funniest moments I've seen on film in a while. It's not a great comedy, but it's a good comedy with a lot of great moments.

A week after Forgetting Sarah Marshall, I've already, um, forgotten a lot of that movie, even though it made me laugh. I'm certainly not finding myself quoting any of the jokes. But with Harold and Kumar Escape From Guantanamo Bay, I have a feeling that I'll still be fondly recalling and quoting scenes for a long time.

2 comments:

Shenan said...

maybe being stoned for forgetting sarah marshall would've helped.

Dan said...

Nah, I'd probably forget even more of it.