Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Short Night of Glass Dolls

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

That movie Awake (I think it was called) that came out earlier this year seemed to have a similar premise to this one. It's one of them stories where the main character appears to be dead, but he can still see and feel everything that happens to him, and he's trying to bring his body back to life and remember how he even got here in the first place, and every moment he's getting closer to his autopsy, etc. Short Night of Glass Dolls mostly takes place in the character's head, as he flashes back to the events leading up to this. I can't speak for what Awake's approach was to the material, but there is something about the odd, subjective, eerie tone of this one that I think is ripe for remaking. Imagine a horror movie version of Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Sometimes I toy with the idea of writing it, for shits.

This is not quite a giallo, but it's an Italian horror flick by the same director as Who Saw Her Die? and I like it, although it's a bit too talky in places. It strikes the right tone, has a lot of cool ideas, and a really great ending (although the last shot is a little corny).

I'm considering, maybe as a break from my K2K, doing a "Giallo Month" or "Italian Horror Movie-a-Thon" because there are just too damn many that I want to see. But I feel like a bitch about abandoning the K2K... still, if I did this as an interlude, maybe when the semester ends as a way to celebrate the start of summer, it wouldn't be so bad. We'll see.

No comments: