Monday, April 21, 2008

Waiting for Guffman

Saturday, April 19, 2008


Sometimes I wonder if these Christopher Guest movies are a little condescending. This movie, probably my favorite unless you count This is Spinal Tap, does seem to get a lot of its laughs by making fun of ordinary people for not being able to act. But are we laughing at them? Or at the situation? I don't know. Guest and Co. do seem to genuinely want to mock, say, the members of Spinal Tap, or the yuppies in Best in Show.

My guess is that Guest and Eugene Levy like the characters, but more want to make fun of how seriously they take themselves. It's a fine line, but I think that's the running theme of their films. It's not funny that these people are all putting on a bad play, it's funny how unreasonably important it becomes to all of them.

Also, one character is really gay, and that's funny too. Ha ha!

No comments: