Thursday, April 3, 2008

My Beautiful Laundrette

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Stephen Frears has directed such top notch movies as High Fidelity, The Queen, Dirty Pretty Things and The Grifters. I enjoy the dude very much so. Here we have an earlier effort of his, co-starring a young Daniel Day Lewis.

I do not know what to make of this movie. I was a bit tired and distracted when I watched it, so maybe that's to blame, but there was an oddness to it that I couldn't quite put my finger on. It's both a laid back comedy/drama, yet oddly over the top in certain ways, with a weird sinister undercurrent in some sequences. It meanders around a bunch, not in a hard to follow way, but in a where the hell is this all going way. And the score for the film at times seems to sound like bubbles popping or liquid, I guess as a laundrette reference. Odd.

Well, I'm not really sure how much I liked it, but it's interesting and I guess there's some charm to its offbeat-ness. Hmm.

No comments: