Sunday, May 18, 2008

The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters

Friday, May 16, 2008


Even now in my sincere attempt at Kommitting myself to Klassiks this year, my own personal obsessions and biases are still narrowing the possibilities of what I could (should?) be watching. I patted myself on the back for watching The General some time back, but I'm still neglecting silent films. And even worse than that, I haven't been watching any documentaries. I guess I'm not inherently a fan, which is a shame and really throws my credibility out the window.

King of Kong is not a klassik or great documentary, it's just a fun one from last year that seemed to get a lot of internet coverage. I liked it, but I didn't get caught up in the story like a lot of nerds on the internet seemed to. The movie really tries to work up a lot of drama over people playing Donkey Kong, clearly painting one guy as the hero and one as the villain. Well, I didn't much care about either, instead I would say that the message of this movie is "people take themselves way too seriously." And I don't mean that as criticism of the subjects... I mean, god forbid somebody filmed me doing one of my hobbies. This shit is embarrassing.

No comments: