Thursday, May 8, 2008

Re-Animator

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I like Stuart Gordon, although I don't think he's ever topped Re-Animator. King of the Ants comes close, and he has a number of other really good ones, but his first film is the best. It's one of those ultra-violent, over-the-top 1980's horror comedies like Evil Dead 2 and Return of the Living Dead, but like the best ones has a voice and style all its own.

I picked up this DVD a few years back (I guess some time in college), shelled out the extra $ for the double disc special edition... and I have yet to watch a single one of the special features. I've probably watched the movie 3 or 4 times, but I haven't watched any of the documentaries or listened to the commentaries. Hell, I've barely utilized the interactive menus.

This ever happened to you? I'm such a freakin' DVD addict that I always feel compelled to get the super special editions, and then find I don't have the time or just don't care to watch the special features.

I'm trying to cut back now... only go for the expensive DVDs that I actually think I'll peruse. I was pretty proud of myself last November when I only got the regular 1-disc edition of Live Free or Die Hard (which was the first post I ever made on this site). The special edition of Superbad was definitely worth it, because the extras are all hilarious, but unless I really give a shit about the making-of a particular movie, there is no need to get, like, The Ultimate Crazy 5-Disc Collector's Set of any movie.

Although I would buy a What Are You Looking At Dicknose? 12-disc Special Edition of Teen Wolf if they ever came out with that.

No comments: