Friday, May 2, 2008

Tokyo Story

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

I don't know if you've heard of this one, but it frequently shows up on all time greatest movie lists. It's not a publically well known classic, though, and I think nowadays it's mainly seen by film critics and movie lovers.

Well, I was proud of myself for Netflixing this one, since it's a 2 hour and 15 minute Japanese movie about an elderly couple where people basically just sit around and talk; I thought it showed my kommittment to klassiks. But secretly, I was kind of dreading it because, well, it's a 2 hour and 15 minute Japanese movie about an elderly couple where people basically just sit around and talk. I was worried it would be a snooze fest, and I'd lose interest in it and feel like a jackass for my failure to kommit.

It didn't exactly grab me from the get-go and change my opinion, either. It really is a movie comprised of conversations between people, with not a lot going on. It's not particularly visually dynamic. I thought I was in for a long night.

Then, before I knew it, I got completely wrapped up in Tokyo Story. It's just a simple story about people, and it never strives hard for drama or emotion, but there is uncommon insight and depth of feeling in the movie. I can't remember the last time I felt this touched watching a movie.

There's an old couple, and they travel to Tokyo to visit some of their children, whom they haven't seen in years. The children are a little put out by the parents, and essentially try to gently push them out the door. Only the widow of one of their sons seems to appreciate their company, in fact she loves having them around. The couple eventually travel home, and shortly after the mother dies. The family all comes for the mother's funeral, and the father and the son's widow have a heart-to-heart. It couldn't get more basic than this, but the simplicity is part of the strength. Tokyo Story is so emotionally honest that it's hard not to relate to almost every moment, and the last 20 minutes or so are an amazing of emotions. I felt sad and happy at the same time. Sad for what happens, but happy because of how much you care for and empathize with and love the characters.

I wouldn't think a movie this low key would have such an impact, but there you go. I can't wait to see more of Ozu's films.

No comments: