Tuesday, August 19, 2008

If...

Monday, August 18, 2008

Okay, yeah, I know I've been lax on the K2K again, but it's not my fault. You'll know this if you're a customer: Netflix totally crapped out and I didn't get any movies from them all last week until Saturday. Then, I had company for the weekend and didn't want to make them sit down and watch some pretentious art movie with me.

I had originally queued O Lucky Man a long time ago because it sounded cool. It's 3 hours long, stars Malcolm McDowell and is apparently some sort of surrealist musical. But then I heard that O Lucky Man was the sequel to If..., so I figured I should see this one first.

I'm gonna say that ultimately I enjoyed it, but I didn't entirely get it. It's sort of a mix of drama and absurd satire, with some surrealism or abstraction thrown in, about English prep schools. It's strange and mostly entertaining, but I think it's probably more of a "you had to have been there" sort of a thing. If I was a British teen in the 60's, I suspect this movie would have meant more to me. As it is, it was worth seeing, has a strong Malcolm McDowell performance and numerous interesting touches, but I'm also not necessarily in any rush to see O Lucky Man. Some day, for sure, but I'm bumping other stuff up my list first.

No comments: