Monday, August 11, 2008

Step Up 2 The Streets

Friday, August 8, 2008

Is this telling me that it's the sequel to Step Up, and that the subtitle is The Streets? Or is it saying that The Streets are something I have to Step Up 2 (to)? I love it.

I had been looking forward to this for a long time, since it pretty much looked like the spiritual sequel to You Got Served, a favorite so-bad-it's-good-yet-conversely-so-good-it's-awesome movie of mine. In a lot of ways, Step Up 2 The Streets is a better movie, but maybe in ways that make it less fun.

Thing is here, the filmmaking is competant, the cast is better, there aren't as many unintentional laughs. Which, you know, means that the movie feels more run of the mill and bland.

However, the dancing is way more fucking awesome, and that's something. The final dance in the rain probably tops You Got Served's big rain-dance sequence. And I got to say, I kind of love this crazy, highly stylized shit. Like the dance floor with trampolines on it. Or the way the dance crew all faces the camera and not the audience watching them. It's great shit.

So I'm mixed here. I think the biggest complaint is that the final dance, while amazing, is just a dance and not a dance off. I really wanted to see them go toe-to-toe with some other dance crew, but the plot doesn't really go in that direction. Makes it all seem less dramatic.

No comments: