Monday, August 25, 2008

Vicky Christina Barcelona

Saturday, August 23, 2008

Since Saturday was my birthday, I was able to drag Shenan along on a double feature at the theaters: Woody Allen's new one Vicky Christina Barcelona, and Alexandre Aja's long-awaited (by me) follow up to The Hills Have Eyes. Kind of a weird pairing, I admit it, but they were the only things out I really wanted to see.

I skipped Woody's last two movies because they were supposed to be turds, but this one shows that he's still definitely got it. It's good enough that I might still give Cassandra's Dream a chance, despite the bad reviews, although Scoop looks so deadly that I don't know if I can bring myself to watch it.

I don't know why it took me so long to figure out, but like 2/3rds of way into this one, I realized that it was Woody's homage to Jules and Jim, complete with 3rd person narration, off-beat threeway romance, and an unstable woman unexpectedly pulling a gun. Allen's done plenty of movies about romantic and sexual relationships, but I can't remember any that had ideas this open about the characters' sexuality. Which is all the more interesting because this is more chaste than some of his other films.


This also reminds me that I should work some Truffaut into my K2k. I saw The 400 Blows, Jules and Jim and Day for Night back in college, and it's about time I saw some more.

No comments: