Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Prince of Darkness

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

I used to think that this was a good but lesser John Carpenter film, but I've seen it 3 or 4 times now and I like it more with each viewing. My friend Patrick is of the opinion that, with remakes of Carpenter films seemingly in high demand (Assault on Precinct 13, The Fog, Halloween) that they should remake this one, as it's the only one that could really benefit. I see what he means: it's got a lot of great ideas, but also some serous flaws that could use ironing out. Repeat viewings have enhanced my appreciation of it, so if they never get around to remaking it, I'll be happy with the original. It's got the great Carpenter visual style, a lot of good ideas, and a few nice subversive touches. It's no Halloween or The Thing but maybe I'm now ranking it at about In the Mouth of Madness level.

No comments: