Monday, February 11, 2008

Brokeback Mountain

Saturday, February 9, 2008

Saturday evening unintentionally turned into a Jake Gyllenhaal double feature when I bought a cheap copy of Brokeback Mountain, which Shenan had never seen. I hadn't seen it since it was out in the theaters, although I had seen it twice during its run.

The second time I saw it, I went with Patrick and Monica, after Monica and I had been doing some serious drinking. In fact, I'm pretty sure we snuck a flask in with us. So, the point I'm trying to get across here is that I was bombed out of my skull. More bombed than the time I went to see Texas Chainsaw Massacre: the Beginning and laughed for ten minutes when that cow exploded. So bombed that somewhere in the middle of the movie I started crying like a little baby bitch.

OK, yeah, this movie gets to me. I cried a little the other two times I've seen it sober. So sue me.


This is the first time I've watched a Heath Ledger movie since he died, and I thought maybe it was going to be a little weird. But it wasn't. I stopped thinking about his death within the first 20 minutes, and really was (yet again) swept into how great a performance he gives. It's sad to reflect now, judging by how strong he is in this movie, as he was finally coming into his own as an actor, how much potential he had. I suspect we've lost a lot of great performances with his passing.

1 comment:

Shenan said...

i love reading your descriptions of our weekend-movie-watchings because it really ends up sounding like we are constantly on some insane movie-watching crusade. which basically we are, and i've allowed myself to get swept into the fervor of this crusade since i started dating you. like, we're so hardcore we go on used-movie-shopping sprees when we run out of netflix to watch.