Sunday, February 10, 2008

Zodiac

Saturday, February 9, 2008

I waited until the director's cut came out to buy this one. I had heard that the changes were minimal, and I trusted that it wouldn't be radically changed in any way. So, you know, if it's basically the same, why not own the director's preferred version? Also this version has a shitload of awesome special features.

Like I said about Ratatouille the other day, I feel like by the time the end of the year rolled around, everybody forgot what a great movie this is. I mean, I don't expect everybody to love a 2 1/2 hour movie that has a deliberately unsatisfying ending, but come on guys. I mean, fuck the Oscars, I don't care about the lack of Oscar love, but this could have been on some more of the best 10 lists. Let's not count this one out just because it came out earlier in 2007. Not all the best movies come out in the Fall.

Oh P.S., let's hope this film ushers in a new era of artistic maturity for David Fincher, a prodigiously talented filmmaker who made some damn good movies but I don't think until now truly found his voice. Fingers crossed.

3 comments:

Shenan said...

this was definitely my favorite movie of the year, and possibly up there with my top 5 movies ever. definitely top 10. it inspired me to read the book and become basically obsessed with the whole story. i was the dork who reservied at least an hour each night at field school to reading zodiac literature. it just keeps getting better the more i see it/the more special features i see/the more i read about it.

which i think is the main theme of the movie. how obsessively it draws you in, the whole thing. which im sure you can/have talked about much better than i.

Dan said...

we still have a feature-length documentary on the case to watch, plus a few docs on the making of the movie. so there is plenty more Zodiac related material for you to absorb.

P.S. why are you selling yourself short at the last part of your comment?

Shenan said...

yessss i'm so excited, zodaic-fest part. II this weekend.

P.S. I wasn't, that's just your thing/idea. And I didn't wanna rip it off.