Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Brothers Solomon

Friday, February 22, 2008

Shenan and I have enjoyed Bob Odenkirk's Melvin Goes to Dinner and Let's Go to Prison, so we were looking forward to his latest. It looked kind of like a bad, dumbass comedy, but so did Prison and that movie still makes me laugh a lot, haters be damned.

I have conflicted feelings here. A lot of this movie made me laugh, but a lot of it didn't, and it was downright poorly made at times. The editing especially was awkward... I remember at one point there was clearly no punchline at the end of a scene, and suddenly it turned slo-mo and an 80's rock song cued up, like they tried to force a laugh in after the fact. I just watched The TV Set, and one of the big jokes at the end is that the TV show they make, which is a comedy drama, is re-edited to be more overtly comic by adding wacky music and sound effects. It's not that bad in The Brothers Solomon, but it does feel a little like it at times. Odenkirk was never exactly a master of cinematic language, but his movies at least felt competent before.

Still, enough made me laugh here that I have a soft spot for it. It was worth watching for the Plane Banner scene alone.

1 comment:

Shenan said...

i think i really had my expectations high because of "let's go to prison," which i have easily watched upwards of 9 trillion times now. one part that did make me laugh though was the line "the baby's not always gonna tell us when it's gonna jump!"