Monday, February 18, 2008

Dean Koontz's Tree Dogs

Friday, February 15, 2008

You may insist that this film does not exist. You may say that you looked it up, and it's actually called The Breed and that Dean Koontz had absolutely nothing to do with the production. You may claim that the title Tree Dogs has little to nothing to do with the film itself.

Well, friend-o, all I can tell you is that I own this film, I have watched this film, and I know in my heart of hearts that it was written by Dean Koontz, and that it's about evil dogs that can somehow climb trees.

Patrick and I caught the 2nd half of this a few weeks back on TV at like 4:30 in the morning, and it kept us up laughing. Then we spent the next day trying and failing to explain to Shenan why it was the funniest movie we had seen in a long time.

By coincidence, Shenan and I found the movie at CD Cellar the following week, and in her infinite wisdom and graciousness, she bought it for me as a gift.

It was just as funny this time around, and I was happy to catch some details I had missed the first time, like the girl who gets bit by a dog and then inexplicably takes on some vaguely dog-like personality traits for some later scenes. This better explains the scene where she stares a dog down and screams to her friend "Don't you understand? If I break eye contact, we're dead!" Still doesn't explain why two people can't fight off one fucking dog. And it doesn't make the scene any less funny.

I won't be surprised if this one, K2K be damned, ends up being watched a few more times in the near-ish future. It's the best of its kind since House of the Dead.

No comments: