Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Wizard of Gore

Sunday, February 17, 2008

OK, I need to stop it with this kind of shit. I mean, seriously. A while back I saw Hershel Gordon Lewis's 2000 Maniacs, and it was old, ultra-cheap, poorly shot, poorly acted, corny, but really offbeat and (for the time) really violent. So, I gave it three stars on Netflix... it was bad, but I found something about it's cheap-ass aesthetic effective. It created a weird tone that I liked.

Really, though, it's a shitty movie, and I think any atmosphere it created was accidental. The Wizard of Gore is the same way... bad, but also accidentally kind of funny, and so oddball and violent that it's strangely watchable.

But you know what? I'm setting the bar too fucking low here. Anything I enjoyed about this movie, I was meeting it way more than halfway. It's more about my own fascination with horror movies than anything the movie itself did. And it's not accidentally funny enough to become a classic that way, although the ending is pretty fucking funny.

Still man, there's too many good fucking movies out there for me to be watching this shit. And too many good-bad movies, for that matter, not a bad-bad movie like this that I find inexplicably captivating.

I'm making a pledge here to cut down on this kind of shit... I'm not saying no bad horror movies, I just pledge to be more honest with myself. When they are bad-bad and not good-bad, I need to just admit that to myself instead of finding reasons to enjoy them. Finding good elements of bad movies is something I pride myself in, but that doesn't mean I should trick myself into liking the entire movie if it doesn't deserve it.

1 comment:

Shenan said...

who are you, the god of horror movies, responsible for administering ultimate objective justice appropriate to those deserving and/or undeserving?

i say your fascination with the genre is a perfectly fine reason to watch something. get off your high horse and learn to embrace the wild stallion of unbridled movie-watching abandon.