Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Premature Burial

An old-tymey rich guy obsesses over premature burial. He believes it happened to his father and is terrified that the same fate will befall him. His wife and friends try to calm him down, but he persists, going so far as to build himself a crypt with several escape methods. Can you guess what's going to eventually happen to him by the end of the film?

Premature Burial is a 60's Roger Corman film adapted from a Poe story, and it is very similar in style and content to another Poe adaptation he did that era, The Pit and the Pendulum. And that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned. Though neither film is a classic, I do take pleasure in their polished, colorful, shadows-and-fog heavy Gothic style. I always had this image in my mind of Corman being some sort of sleazemeister, but I've caught up with a few of his films in the last year or two, and they are less exploitation films and more cleverly executed low budget films.

No comments: