Thursday, July 17, 2008

7 Plus Seven

Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Already, the payoff of this series is pretty awesome. The subjects are now 14, and it's weird to see both how much some of them have changed, but also how much some of them have stayed the same. And not only is it mind blowing to see what they are like as teenagers, but you get really excited wondering what's going to happen to them next. And that's, I suppose, the benefit of watching this now instead of being someone who watched it from the beginning... right away, I can find out what happened to them, all the way through 49 Up. I suppose once I've seen all they've done so far, I'll be pretty eager for 56 Up, though.

This is a pretty awesome use of the medium. It goes beyond the normal attractions of the style, and creates a whole new fascination... and really, presumably, it can make a powerful statement on the passage of time, in a manner no fictional film could ever do.

2 comments:

Dan said...

it makes me happy whenever i see your leaning towards interest in anthropological themees. like this series.

Shenan said...

wow i meant to publish that as me. we need seperate computers.