Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Part 3 in the series isn't the non-stop cavalcade of badass style like part 2 was, but it's good, and I liked it about as much as the original. Unlike the other 2, it's much more of a slow burn, only gradually building up to some violence near the end. It has almost a Leone-ish vibe to it at times, the way it builds, the way it delays the action as along as possible.

The real shame is that this DVD, unlike the others I got from Netflix, was dubbed instead of subtitled. Which really sucked because this one was more dialogue and character driven, and dubbing almost always seems to add a level of unintended comedy. Still, I actually thought the new found drama worked, which I wouldn't have guessed from the first two. I know I gave the main character some shit in my last post because he doesn't have much personality, but I'm starting to grow more fond of his (and, really, his son's) deadpan style. It makes you wonder more about what's going on in his head, since he'll never say, and they also use it to comic effect a few times.

No comments: