Monday, July 21, 2008

Lawrence of Arabia

Sunday, July 20, 2008

I think this is officially the longest movie I've ever seen. Except, do you count the extended overture, intermission and ending where the score plays over a blank screen? Because in that case, Once Upon a Time in America might win. Except I think it had longer credits. Maybe? I dunno. And I don't care enough to research the matter further.

For me, this was a movie that was consistently good, but didn't really amount to anything great. It's more effectively epic than a lot of the supposed epics we get these days (I'm looking at you, Troy) and has a lot of good moments, but it didn't do much for me on any level beyond "this is pretty entertaining." And it wasn't greatly entertaining either, just pretty entertaining.

I don't know, I liked it, but I think it's sorta like how I feel about There Will Be Blood: just because a movie is well made and aspires to greatness, doesn't make it a great movie.

No comments: