Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Waking Life

Sunday, July 13, 2008

I don't think I'd seen this since mid-college. It's one of my favorite movies by possibly my favorite director.

It has a special place in my heart, I think because I saw it at the perfect time in my life. It came out my senior year of high school, when I was feeling a lot of anxiety and depression about the future, and something about Waking Life really cheered me up, and made me feel more excited about my future, and made me want to blather on with my friends about philosophy and that crap. (And to think, I had never even smoked pot when I first saw this). If I saw it today for the first time, I bet I'd still dig it a lot, because I like trippy animation and pretentious philosophizing, but I'm not sure it would become an all-time favorite. I'm much less prone to this kind of "let's talk about the meaning of it all" chatter, I'd like to think I'm a little less self-serious, and more defined in my tastes and secure in my personality. But this was a perfect movie for a confused teenager.

1 comment:

Shenan said...

I think a lot of the things I loved as a teenager I loved precisely because I was a teenager, with all the confusion that goes along with that. I think that's probably true of most people. It's fun to look back on that stuff.