Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Mist

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Finally got to check out the black and white version of The Mist, which I had thought was a cool idea. It's not a major revelation or anything, but I think it adds a little extra atmosphere here and there, and makes one of my favorite horror flicks of '07 just a little cooler. Any downside? It may make the violence a little less graphic/visceral, but I wouldn't be sure until I did a more direct comparison.

I'm not exactly a big proponent of b&w, but it seems a shame to me that it's not used more often. People just won't accept the style these days, which sucks. Lighting/shadows are so awesome in black and white that it's a perfect fit for horror and crime movies. Hell, so many movies these days have the color desaturated so much they might as well be in black and white. Instead, whenever someone does a major movie this way, it just comes off as a gimmick. Like, "Hey check it out, it's a black and white movie! They must be making some kind of statement." Instead of, you know, just using the medium for it's strengths.

No comments: