Monday, July 21, 2008

The Dark Knight

Saturday, July 19, 2008

I don't really have much to add to the plethora of rave reviews of this one that are currently overstuffing the internet. This is a vast improvement over the original, and definitely one of the best films of the summer. Two things I would like to say:

First, kudos to Christopher Nolan for making the darkest, least pleasant mainstream/blockbuster movie I've seen in a long time. Probably since Aliens. It takes a lot of balls (I would say 30 to 40 balls) to make a $180 million movie this grim and unpleasant.

Second, although I don't think the action is much improved in this one (like the first one, the only real action scene worth it's salt is the chase scene), it doesn't matter because they cleverly wrote it to not contain a lot of action. Instead of brawls and shoot-em-ups, Nolan opts for more set-pieces, like the opening bank heist, or the Hong Kong raid sequence, etc etc. I thought it really smartly played to his stengths as a director.

No comments: