Monday, July 21, 2008

Floating Weeds

Saturday, July 19, 2008

I feel like I need to start making a new catagory for Japanese films, I've been watching so damn many of them for my K2K. This was my second shot at an Ozu film, after the wonderful Tokyo Story. Much like that film, the story is deceptively simple, yet you get pretty wrapped up and involved in it. This film was visually exciting (especially the colors) in a way that Tokyo Story was not, but I must say that I ultimately wasn't as moved by this one. Tokyo Story made me tear up like a bitch, Floating Weeds engaged me but maybe didn't move me enough. So I guess it was a little disappointing, although I'm still looking forward to checking out more of his films.

This came with A Story of Floating Weeds, a silent version of the same story Ozu had filmed 25 years earlier. I didn't get a chance to take a peak at it before I returned it to the video store, which would have been interesting, although Ozu's movies seem so dependant on dialogue that I have trouble imagining how they would work silent.

No comments: