Friday, July 18, 2008

Sonatine

Thursday, July 17, 2008

I came home from work sick on Thursday, and when I wasn't sleeping, I watched this. I have been meaning to see more of Takeshi Kitano's films for a while... I had seen Dolls and Zatoichi, but those apparently aren't his typical kinds of films. Sonatine is; it's a strange, slow paced crime film punctuated by unexpected bursts of violence.

Well, this was a lot stranger than I expected. I'm not opposed to seeing more of his movies, because this was definitely an interesting and unique film, but it's not exactly a film you enjoy much either. It alternates between slow passages, sudden violence, dead seriousness and oddball, inexplicable humor. A lot of individual scenes work, but do they add up to a cohesive whole? I'm not sure. But it's definitely a movie that sticks with you.

No comments: