Sunday, January 13, 2008

Ali: Fear Eats the Soul

Sunday, January 13, 2008

Here is, I think, my first official Kommitment to Klassiks film of the new year. I think I need to draw up a logo for every time I watch one of these. (Update 5/21: Never did that! But I am now tagging them all!)

Well, this was a very good movie, and also a terrible idea to watch tonight. I came home from Harrisonburg tonight, feeling a little sad and anxious because I won't see Shenan until Friday, and then I watched a movie that was all about people feeling sad and anxious. Ugh.

It's a German film about an older woman who has a relationship with a younger, Moroccan immigrant, and the bigotry they face. It's I guess sort of an un-comedic Harold and Maude meets Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?. It's short, and very simply told, and very effective. And it kind of made me feel like shit.

Well, good job Fassbinder, for ruining my night. But I will probably check more of your shit out down the line.

No comments: