Wednesday, January 2, 2008

No Country For Old Men

Sunday, December 30, 2007

As I was mid-vacation on Sunday, I decided it would be a perfect day for an all-day movie marathon with my brother. Andy and I started by waking ourselves up bright and early, and catching the first showing of No Country For Old Men.

I had already seen this one before, and it's definitely on my short list for Best Fuckin' Movie 2007. This is a nice mixture of genre movie masterpiece and art house movie masterpiece. If it weren't for The Big Lebowski, this would be my favorite Coen Brothers flick.

I think my favorite thing about No Country, or at least the part of it that most resonates, is the sort of unexpected direction it veers off into during the last 20 minutes or so. It's genius, and maybe a little devious, the way the Coen's set us up to expect a big, climactic showdown, and instead leave us scratching our heads. I mean, 23 years of movie going had lead me to anticipate major confrontation, but instead the movie has a slow, thoughtful closing. The way it all plays out is a little haunting, and it's not an easy movie to dismiss.

Well, if I get around to doing a Best Of list, I'll probably have more to say on this one. As for now, I must move along, as there is much catching up to do...

No comments: