Sunday, January 27, 2008

Rambo

Saturday, January 26, 2008

I thought that Rocky Balboa had turned out surprisingly good, all things considered, so I had some faith in Rambo. Not that I was a huge fan of the series, but I thought that Stallone would know how to revisit old-fashioned 80s action and do it right.

I can't for the life of me remember if parts 2 and 3 were this corny. Probably they were. So what, though? There's a 15 minute sequence where Stallone fires a high-powered machine gun at an entire army, and we just kind of watch them explode into millions of pieces. That's right, I got my money's worth.

The action in the last half hour or so is pretty great, but all the build up is... not so much. I was pretty much just pumped for the action, so it took me a while to realize how much of the dialogue and action might just be unintentionally hilarious. I did appreciate the part where all the missionaries are on Rambo's boat, and one girl turns to talk to him, and the lead missionary is all "Hey, where are you going?" Uh, nowhere, dipshit, the boat's like 10 feet long.

The accidental humor is what's going to make or break this movie if/when I rewatch it some day. I know the conclusion is great, but the rest is gonna be pretty boring unless it turns out to be funnier than I realized. So, we'll see.

2 comments:

Paul said...

I'm so glad you saw this one before I did.

Did they keep the knife-beheading part? Is killing as easy as breathing? Is it a renter or a run-out-and-see-it-this-afternoon?

Dan said...

You know how violent that amazing trailer suggested it would be? It's actually even more violent than what you would have guessed. It may very well be the most graphically violent action movie ever.

If you see it, I say make sure you have a like-minded entourage. Because a lot of the movie is actually bad, it can probably wait until video, although I guess it will lose some of its visceral impact that way. But on DVD you'll be able to watch the part where Rambo slowly rips a man's throat out over and over again. (Trust me, you'll want to).