Monday, January 28, 2008

Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

Saturday, January 26, 2007

Oh Zemeckis, how I love you so. You have such a technical mastery of the medium, and you make movies that a heavy on the special effects. Yet, you're not some hollow, artless hitmaker (cough cough Paul W.S. Anderson), you always use your effects and big budgets to make movies with heart, and magic. It's you and Spielberg and practically no one else who knows how to do this.

You don't think about the technical aspects of Roger Rabbit when you're a kid. You don't realize just what an achievement it is until you start to become more movie-savvy. Here's the thing though. Whenever I watch Roger Rabbit, I usually try to see how they did all the effects. Only after about 20 minutes or so, I totally forget that I'm trying to do that, and I end up just getting wrapped up in the movie.

And that's why Robert Zemeckis is a great filmmaker.

No comments: