Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Jade

Tueaday, January 8, 2008

Well, shit. I kind of guessed this would happen, but it turns out I legitimately liked part 2 of Krapfest a little bit. Whoops.

Jade seemed to me to be universally derided, and I expected it to be a bad thriller, but maybe fun in a trashy way. And I guess it is that, but maybe more fun that I suspected. And not really that bad either. It's written by Joe Eszterhas, and is basically a reworking of his trashy, bad thriller Basic Instinct, which, shit, I also like. This time, it's William Friedkin directing, and with David Caruso and Linda Fiorentino replacing Michael Douglas and Sharon Stone.

(Netflix must not like Linda Fiorentino films, because this is the 2nd one I've gotten from them that they only had in fullscreen. Arrrrgggg!)

Friedkin has a spotty reputation with me, but this was a decent effort. It's an entertaining thriller, not as weird or fascinating as Cruising but I still like the way the guy throws in some unconventional shit. Fucks with the audience a bit. I especially liked where he starts off a flashy, high speed car chase, only to have them drive into some chinese new year parade, and sloooooooowly try to make their way through. It's almost virtuoso in the way it delays the action.

He also throws in a lot of unnecessary flash, and I like that in movies like this.

So like I said, good trashy fun. Not a bad movie at all.

No comments: