Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Little Girl Who Lives Down The Lane

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Okay bitches, it's October and you know what that means: I'm going to watch a shitload of horror movies. I know I already usually watch an assload of them, but I am upgrading this month to a shitload. Shitload > assload. I'm trying to think of a catchy name for it. I thought up Shocktober Fest but then I realized that I only thought of it because it already exists and is taken. So let me know if you think of anything.

This one is from the 70's, it's a little strange, and it stars a young Jodie Foster as a girl who gets a bag full of black wool.... no, wait. That's not right. She plays a girl who's lives alone in her house after her father's death, and tries to keep it a secret from the outside world. Some of the townspeople are starting to become suspicious, including a pedophile who begins stalking her. Also, she has some corpses stashed in her basement, although that's just a misunderstanding.

Like I said, it's a weird one, but also a pretty good one. It feels a bit like Wait Until Dark meets Home Alone. Most of it takes place in the living room of the girl's house, so it also feels a bit like a stage play at times, with lots of entrances and exits from the supporting characters. It's not exactly a believable story, but it holds your interest and I thought only really crossed the line one time with a bit involving a character, a teenager, wearing heavy prosthetics to pretend to be an old man. That strained credibility a bit too much for me, but otherwise this was an engrossing and somewhat suspenseful story, with a lot of strong performances. It's a unique mix of coming of age comedy/drama and horror/thriller, by turns charming and creepy. Definitely a good way to start the month.

6 comments:

Patrick said...

I have nothing to say about this movie since I have never seen it.
However I do have an opinion on the name of your horror movie orgy. It should be something along the lines of the best titled giallos.
Like " Who payed the terror master with his films of blood?" or "Carnivale shadows in the month of the black cat"

Dan said...

god damn it Patrick, I love the way you think

Dan said...

some suggestions:

Your Vice is a Horror Movie Marathon and Only I Have the Netflix Queue

The Strange Vice of Dan Prestwich

60 Movies in the Cat's Eye

60 Movies for an October Moon

Marathon of the Death Nerve

Patrick said...

I have one vote for Your Vice is a Horror Movie Marathon and Only I Have the Netflix Queue. or YVIAHMMAOIHTNQ for short.

Shenan said...

i kept trying to second patrick's initial motion all afternoon but my computer hates the internet and such. but amen to all that followed!

Dan said...

ok, YVIAHMMAOIHTNQ was my favorite to, so I think I'm swearing that one in officiallly