Friday, October 31, 2008

The Phantom of the Opera

Thursday, October 31, 2008

No, I didn't accidenally post this twice, I did a double feature of Phantom of the Operas. This is a version from the late 80's that tries to tell the Phantom story more in the style of the Nightmare on Elm Street films. So it's fitting that they cast Freddy Krueger as the Phantom.

It started off well enough. It looked like it had a decent budget, good cinematography, good special effects, and an okay cast for one of these movies. There's a cool bit where the phantom sews a bunch of fake latex skin to his face and puts on makeup to look normal. But mostly the movie is mediocre and uninvolving, with a stupid "it was all a dream... or was it?!" ending that makes no sense and drags on forever.

I will give special recognition for achievement in bad dialogue in one scene. Some dude is telling the owner of the opera house about the legend of the phantom, and he lets loose this pearl: "I don't believe in phantoms or legends, Mr. Dutton, but I do believe in facts. And the fact is, this man - -this creature - -is still alive. Still alive, and living under your opera. " Uh, I'm pretty sure that means you do believe in phantoms and legends, moron.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is unrelated to this movie, but related to horror movies.

Midnight Meat Train is screening at my school tonight for free. I'm not going because I'm going to be at a party, but I thought I'd mention it. You should see if it's on DVD yet.