Friday, October 31, 2008

Trailer Park of Terror

HALLOWEEN NIGHT

If you're like me, then you probably just rolled your eyes when you read the title. I mean, it sounds terrible, right? I thought so, but then I read a positive review of it on the Onion's AV Club, and thought I would give it a shot.

This is definitely in that genre I'm starting to think of as "nu-horror," mid-range budgeted horror movies that try to combine Re-Animator style over-the-top gory funness with Last House on the Left style disturbing viciousness. Mostly, I've thought these movies, like Wrong Turn 2 and Severence have been failures, but this may be the best one I've seen so far. I'm not sure if I can exactly give it the thumbs up, but at least the silly stuff didn't negate the disturbing stuff, and vice versa. I think the problem here is that there are several effective scenes, but it doesn't all work as a whole.

No comments: