Friday, October 31, 2008

The Phantom of the Opera

Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Dario Argento version, which I had always avoided because I never heard anything besides terrible things about it. Is it his worst movie? Quite possibly. Is it worth seeing? Maybe, if you're an Argento fan. I can't call this a good movie at all, but I can say that it's got some fucking shit that rivals, and in places surpasses, the craziness of Argento's Phenomena.

Like the fact that the Phantom is raised by psychic rats, who give him psychic mind powers. And I think in one part they even suggest that he might get sexual with the rats. Then there's the part when the Phantom fantasizes about a bunch of naked men with ratheads caught in a giant rat trap. Or the part where some dwarf rides around on a giant rat catching machine and gets decapitated.

I'm not going to lie and pretend that this is at all a good movie. I'm just going to say that it has its moments.

No comments: