Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Balls of Fury

Sunday, March 2, 2008

Well, this was the weekend of fucking awful movies, wasn’t it? In addition to the PA series, we also watched Troll 2 and House of the Dead. (I was about to add Demons to that list… but seriously, it’s a great fucking movie). I didn’t blog about them because we basically talked right over them, but still. Not showing much Kommitment to Klassiks.

My dad Netflixed this one. It was worse than I imagined. I don’t understand how Robert Ben Garant and Thomas Lennon made this. I love The State. I love Reno 911, even the movie. Yet, somehow they are made by the same guys who wrote Taxi and The Pacifier. I always figured they were just sellouts on those projects, and I hoped that Balls of Fury would be up to snuff with their best stuff, despite its heinous trailer. No such luck. I’m not sure there was a real laugh in this entire movie.

Not much to say here, except one thing I would like to put out there as a message to all comic filmmakers. Guys, I love Christopher Walken too. But things aren’t immediately funny just because he says them. I know he talks in a funny way, and yeah it can be great. But like most actors, he needs some actual material to get a laugh. It used to be that I’d smile every time Walken popped up in a random comedic role, because even though he was more of a weirdo dramatic actor there was something about his energy that added some spice to a comedy. However now, after The Wedding Crashers and Envy and this, his prescence in a comedy is just a sign of desperation on the part of the filmmakers. They need an unfunny role to seem funny, so they throw in Walken. It needs to be stopped before it tarnishes this man’s reputation forever.

No comments: