Wednesday, March 12, 2008

She Wore a Yellow Ribbon

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

OK, I'm back on track with my K2K here, checking out a John Ford / John Wayne western. I had previously enjoyed The Searchers and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, although didn't quite love them the way I had been lead to expect. Maybe they were hyped up too much for me. I know Ford is considered one of the greats, so I've been meaning to check out more of his stuff. I hadn't heard of this one, but it was the one with the highest recommendation on Netflix.

Well, I'll be honest. I didn't much enjoy this movie. It is visually wonderful/poetic, which I very much enjoy in westerns. But everything else pretty much sucked. Except for Wayne, the acting was painful, the dialogue was corny, it contained a lot of cringe-inducing unfunny humor (like the worst parts of The Searchers) and was just fucking boring. I could barely pay attention.

I don't know, I'd like to think that maybe this was more my problem than the movie's, and that I'd like it more if I saw it again. But I'm not sure I'd bother to give it another shot.

No comments: