Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Perfect Witness

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Um, ok. You got me. I know I said I was going to be more dedicated to klassiks this week to make up for the Police Academy marathon, and I will. I promise. But Shenan rented this. What was I going to do?

Anyway, this is a horror film that reminded me of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, not only in subject matter but also in how I respected the movie's serious treatment of the material but didn't much like the movie itself.

It's a well made movie, with some strong lead performances, especially by American Beauty's Wes Bentley. But it's got some serious script problems, especially with the dialogue, and I think the story goes off the rails in the last act and becomes a boring mess.

The movie looks good and creates the right atmosphere, but never really builds up any tension, dread or excitement. Still, I appreciate it's seriousness. The premise of someone making a documentary about a serial killer is getting to be cliche now (Behind the Mask, The Last Horror Movie, Poughkeepsie Tapes), but I like that this one is just a fiction film and not a mockumentary.

Any ways, didn't work for me, but showed some promise. Maybe next time, guys.

No comments: