Wednesday, March 12, 2008

A Man For All Seasons

Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Police Academy penance continues.

This was a top-notch costume drama from the 60's. Although I think photographing elaborate costumes and sets is a good enough reason to make a movie, I'm not inherently a fan of the genre. It's gotta really stand out with a compelling story and good acting to impress me, which this one did.

Anyway, the most entertaining (and surprising ) part of the film for me was Robert Shaw's performance. My limited knowledge of his career was that he always played gruff/tough guys in movies. Here, he plays the king of England, and it's a Idi Amin type of petulant child performance where he goes from funny and affable to terrifying in the blink of an eye. It's an awesome performance, and completely different from his work in Jaws.

No comments: